Due to the rapidly changing landscape of business, successful leaders need to know how to manage change relating to individuals and within organizations.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) projects employment of managers and executives will grow 6% through 2031, resulting in about 318,100 openings for top executives each year, on average, over the decade.
Three common job titles for professionals who use leadership and change management on a regular basis include C-suite executives, director of change management and process improvement manager.
In this article, you’ll learn more about these careers and how earning an MBA in Leadership and Change Management prepares you for these top roles.
The C-Suite Executive
Many people have a career goal to reach the C-suite executive level.
With an MBA in Leadership and Change Management, you can. Common executive titles include CEO, CMO or COO. In these top roles, leadership and the ability to manage change are must-have skills and a lot of responsibility falls on your shoulders because of this fact. With the right education, you’ll be ready to take on the challenges of running a modern organization.
According to Indeed, common responsibilities of C-suite executives include:
- Creating and implementing a comprehensive long-term plan for the organization
- Developing short-term strategies for meeting overall organizational and/or department vision
- Collaborating with other C-suite executives to meet organizational goals and integrate specific goals
- Delegating management duties and tasks to appropriate departments and employees
- Communicating effectively and positively with employees and teams
- Leading by example and promoting an ethical, positive company culture
These responsibilities are not to be taken lightly, and professionals are well compensated for their work. The BLS reports that the median annual wage for chief executives in May 2021 was $179,520.
Director of Change Management
Directors of change management usually are familiar with the theory of change management and have a successful track record of helping to plan, develop, and lead strategies for change. They also possess excellent interpersonal skills, which are essential for training employees to overcome changes and ensuring change projects are implemented on time and within budget.
According to Betterteam, common responsibilities of change management directors include:
- Collaborating with management to gather and analyze operational information
- Preparing change management strategies to reduce expenses, increase revenue, and maximize efficiency
- Evaluating cost structures and budgetary impact of the proposed changes
- Consulting with staff members and identifying and managing anticipated resistance
- Assisting with the restructuring of the staff component to optimize the effective implementation of the project
- Coaching managers and supervisors to improve implementation communication
As a change management director, you can expect a salary that matches your leadership expertise. Salary.com states the average change management director salary is $101,513, with a range typically falling between $76,207 and $132,659.
Process Improvement Manager
The main role of a process improvement manager is to provide an objective assessment of how well a business operates. They also give tips to refine all aspects of the business. Striving to make a business’s processes easier, faster, better and more affordable is the number one goal.
Throughout this process, project improvement managers have common responsibilities according to Betterteam, such as:
- Developing process enhancement strategies
- Analyzing company processes and procedures
- Monitoring staff performance and organizational processes
- Establishing norms and standards of company performance
- Investigating shortfalls, issues, and complaints in current business processes
- Collaborating with other stakeholders to enhance productivity and staff satisfaction
- Training, mentoring, and guiding team members in new processes
Process improvement managers make an average salary of $98,920 according to Salary.com. However, the average salary range typically falls between $89,051 and $110,022.
These job titles overall hold much responsibility. If you’re a professional aiming to move into one of these senior management roles, then enrolling in an online MBA program can help.
Kickstart Your Career With An Online MBA Degree
Our online Master in Business Administration (MBA) with a Leadership and Change Management specialization at Concordia University Chicago prepares professionals to lead no matter the amount of change within an organization.
You’ll gain the skills and experience needed to manage change on the individual and organizational levels. If you want to drive the strategy to help a current or future employer navigate through complex transformations and challenging times, then this may be the program for you.
Our 100% online MBA program is comprised of 12 core courses plus the following four specialization courses:
- Agents of Change
- The Leader as Trainer, Mentor and Coach
- Leadership Communication and Decision Making
- Leader Development: Cultivating, Sustaining and Renewing the Organization
Check out our MBA with a Leadership and Change Management program overview page today, and become a positive presence in the eye of change in your present or future company for a lifetime.